Monday, July 13, 2009

Sweden: Gothia Cup

Tonight Agnes will perform at the opening ceremony for Gothia Cup, Gothenburg, Sweden

"Tonight is the night. At eight o´ clock 52 000 football loving spectators from all over the world will gather at the Nya Ullevi arena to experience the Gothia Cup Opening Ceremony. There will be competitions, a world record, laughter, première march for two new Gothia Cup nations and finally but maybe the most important, the language that we all speak, dance and music.

It´s the last rehearsal before tonight and full throttle at the arena. One of the girls on the stage is 21 years old, and has played striker in Wargöns IK, Sweden, her name is Agnes Carlsson. And one more small thing, 2005 she won the Swedish Tv show Idol and since then she has toured Europe as a successful pop and soul singer. But she has never performed at Gothia Cup before.– When I first arrived, I was chocked. I thought that I should sing by a football field but when I got here I understood I was going to sing at Ullevi, and how big this occasion is. I feel really honoured, says a happy Agnes Carlsson.


Agnes started to play football when she was 14 years old and played for two years. Even if her football career wasn’t too long she did score some goals.– I remember once when I played a game. The whole family came to see me play and I was really jittery. That game I scored three goals and I was so happy! says Agnes.

On and around the stage there are singers and dancers everywhere. It is all about timing each other and the music right, something that Agnes sees as a similarity with the football.– You get a lot of energy from your team mates when you do things together. Teamwork is the main thing, says Agnes and points at the same rules for both the stage and the field.– When you score or when you succeed on a concert, you just feel a big Yes! It is important to find something that you are good at and that you can enjoy.

Agnes arrived directly to the rehearsal from a tour in Wales and Denmark. She has only rehearsed two times with the Opening Ceremony ensemble but she does not feel any nervousness. Tonight she will be surrounded by 400 glittering singers and dancers and as before any big game it is all about preparations.– When I played I always had to play with number 2 on my shirt but now I think that the best way to prepare is to take a deep breath and to make sure you have fun.

At tonight’s magnificent show we will be a part of the fun with the Agnes and all of the singers and dancers. The Opening Ceremony is very much about joy and playfulness, but it also tries to answer one important question that probably has the same amount of answers as there are participants. What is Gothia Cup?– I have played football myself, never in Gothia Cup, but I have been visiting games and the disco. For me Gothia Cup will always stand for fun, Agnes finishes."

No comments:

Post a Comment